Friday, April 21, 2023

John Galt Electric Cars

The US left want to mandate electric cars. Most US electricity comes from fossil fuels, but producing electricity, transmitting it, charging a battery, and then using the battery to run an engine that can drive a car is, according to the same people who promote the CoViD-19 vaccines as 110% safe and effective, produces no CO2. All that is needed is to circumvent the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

I mentioned the novel Atlas Shrugged in my previous post. Shortly after leaving home, it came highly recommended by one new acquaintance. So I went to the library and found it more than 1,000 pages, so I asked for a second opinion and was told never to read it. That was 50 years ago.

It came recommended a couple of years ago, and, having more time, I read it. The author, Ayn Rand, says that university professors lie when they say no one, no matter how clever, can violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics: a clever engineer can figure out a way. So she strongly recommended John Galt electric cars. One only needs to charge the car battery once. The battery provides the electricity to run an electric motor, and the motor turns a generator that recharges the battery as one drives the car.

That annoying Second Law means electric cars running on electricity produced from fossil fuels use more fossil fuels than diesel cars.

But John Galt cars eliminate the need for fossil fuels.

***

I'm glad I did not read Atlas Shrugged 50 years ago, and also glad I read it a couple of years ago. Back 50 years ago, I could not have appreciated the book, but I certainly did when I finally read it, and saw how many people are willing to bet their lives on having a John Galt Electric Car available by 2030.

No comments: