Wednesday, May 3, 2023

At work 50 years ago

My job was helping Freshmen (and Freshwomen) with their homework, providing assistance and advice to help them understand. Mostly, I sat alone in my office for several hours a day and got paid $200 a month.

Then, one day, two co-eds came into my office.

"Can I help you with your homework?" I asked.

"No. I am in love with this really hot boy and I want to know the secret to get him to fall in love with me. You're a man, so I know you know the secret, and I desperately need you to tell me," she said.

"I don't know the secret. I've heard two versions. One is, let him know you're interested. I don't know if that will work. The other is from Pride and Prejudice. Mr Darcy is the richest, hottest bachelor in the entire UK. Every marriageable woman wants to marry him. He is rude to Elizabeth, but then asks her to dance and she says 'No,' and he almost immediately proposes to her because she is the only woman in all of England who ever said 'No' when he asked her to dance."

"So you won't tell me the secret. You men are all alike." and she left my office.

So there she is, and she wants to know the secret to get the hottest man in (choose) the UK, the US, Texas, or just The University of Texas, or maybe just among the Freshmen at the University of Texas in 1973. With 25,000 other coeds who want him, there are two possibilities: they'll all strike out at getting him for a permanent partner, but he'll take a lot of them for quickies, or he'll pick one, but why she'd be the one, I have no idea. But the two girls both believed there was a simple secret that every man knew but none of us would reveal to any woman. (So she gave me a low rating as homework assistant since I provided absolutely no help with the only 'homework' she was interested in doing.)

No comments: